The MENU > GATEWAYS page of the Service Mesh Manager web interface allows you to:
- View the configuration of every gateway.
- Monitor the upstream traffic.
- Manage the port and host configurations.
- Manage routing and traffic.
- Configure TLS settings on the gateway, including cert-manager and Let’s Encrypt setup.
Note: Service Mesh Manager uses the concept of IstioMeshGateways, a declarative representation of Istio ingress and egress gateway services and deployments. With the help of IstioMeshGateways, you can set up multiple gateways in a cluster, and use them for different purposes.
To create a new ingress gateway, see Create ingress gateway.
To list the gateways of your service mesh, navigate to MENU > GATEWAYS.
For each gateway, the following information is shown:
- Name: The name of the gateway.
- Namespace: The namespace the gateway belongs to.
- Cluster: The cluster the gateway belongs to. Mainly useful in multi-cluster scenarios.
- Type: Type of the gateway. Ingress gateways define an entry point into your Istio mesh for incoming traffic, while egress gateways define an exit point from your Istio mesh for outgoing traffic.
- Open ports: The ports the gateway accepts connections on.
- Hosts: Number of hosts accessible using the gateway.
- Routes: Number of routing rules configured for the ingress traffic.
- Error rate: The number of errors during the last polling interval, for 5XX errors. Client-side errors (with 4XX status code) are not included.
- Requests per second: The number of requests per second during the last polling interval.
- Status: Status of the gateway.
To display the YAML configuration of MeshGateways, Gateways, or VirtualServices, click the name of the gateway in the list, then click the icon next to their name.
Monitor upstream traffic
Service Mesh Manager collects upstream metrics like latencies, throughput, RPS, or error rate from Prometheus, and provides a summary for each gateway. It also sets up a Grafana dashboard and displays appropriate charts in-place.
To monitor the upstream traffic of your Istio gateways, complete the following steps.
Open the Service Mesh Manager web interface, and navigate to MENU > GATEWAYS.
From the list of gateways, click the gateway you want to monitor.
On the OVERVIEW tab, scroll down to the METRICS section. The most important metrics of the gateway are displayed on the Service Mesh Manager web interface (for example, upstream requests per second and error rate).
Note: You can also view the details of the service or the deployment related to the gateway.
Click to open the related dashboards in Grafana.
CAUTION:If you have installed Service Mesh Manager in Anonymous mode, you won’t be able to access the Metrics and Traces dashboards from the UI. Clicking the or icon in anonymous mode causes the RBAC: access denied error message.
Gateway deployment and service details
To display the details, events, and most important metrics of the deployment and service related to a gateway, navigate to MENU > GATEWAYS > <Gateway-to-inspect>, then click SERVICE or DEPLOYMENT.